Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (www.twoa.ac.nz) is one of New Zealand's largest tertiary education providers offering variety of certificate to degree level qualifications to New Zealanders and also provides the holistic education opportunities for Māori, peoples of Aotearoa and the world. TWoA has a national network of regional and private providers with administrative rohe (regions) covering the country, each of which is responsible for programme delivery, community networks and collaboration with local Tertiary Education Institutions (TEIs). In 2007, as part of their various health and well-being offerings, TWoA launched a highly successful pedometer stepping programme known as Tau Ora for their staff. The programme has been highly successful with more than 50% of staff engaging with the programme each year. This programme offers amazing health and fitness benefits that Tau Ora would like to extend to students and other organisations in New Zealand.
There are disturbing health statistics and community challenges wherein 60% of adults do not achieve the recommended amount of physical activity needed in a day and 25% of adults are not physically active at all. While many people believe only vigorous activity such as jogging and weight lifting count towards fitness.
Tau Ora’s concept is to support each other in a team to overcome challenges and achieve their personal wellbeing goals through right amount of exercise. The change starts from own team, community and eventually to all people towards a healthy legacy for future generations which is extremely challenging.
Covalense was commissioned by TWoA to provide the Tau Ora SaaS platform in short turn-around time in an agile development methodology with pre-conditioned deadline for go live of the system. Considering the functional requirements and time constraints, Covalense recommend the application architecture for the portal using DNN Professional 7.0 (Microsoft .Net 4.0 Framework) due to inbuilt security, scalability of modules and layered architecture for easy maintenance. DNN uses a 3-tier architecture model with a core framework providing support to the extensible modular structure. Web performance was ensured using Dynamical Minification and AJAX with optimised DNN settings. The portal was delivered in phased manner using the industry standards and best practices with optimal performance levels.
- The web portal is highly intuitive and easy to use without any help desk team.
- Cost benefits and low turn round solutions and services leveraging the advantages of outsourcing value chain.
- Tau Ora SaaS platform will automate the process of on boarding different organisations and manage their data very easily.
- Whanau (community) who have taken part in Tau Ora have reported a whole range of benefits. Three-quarters of whanau reported increased enjoyment of life. Two-thirds claimed improvement in concentration and increased fulfilment in their work and more than half reported better quality of sleep and increased confidence and self-esteem.
- The portal has been a resounding success, delivering the vision of Tau Ora. It won the supreme award at the New Zealand Workplace Health and Safety Awards on 27 May ’15 and again awarded for Health, Safety and Wellbeing at the HRINZ awards held in Auckland in Feb ’16.
An affirmation of our Service
Jim Mather, CEO TWoA says the national award was a great acknowledgement and he commended the excellent caliber of work, which has gone into the development of Tau Ora.